Friday, January 23, 2009

God's Blinding Light

The conversion of St Paul (celebrated on 25th January) after his encounter with Christ on the road to Damascus reminds us of the famous lines from the Confessions of St Augustine, where Augustine speaks of the light that shone on us and shattered his blindness, thus giving him a totally new sight, enabling him to see things from the perspective of God. This is the same experience St Paul went through in his conversion...

Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new late have I loved you. You were within me, but I was without. Unlovely, I rushed onto the lovely things you have made. You were with me, but I was not with you... You called and cried aloud, and forced open my blindness. You gleamed and shone and cahse away my blindness. You breathed fragrant odors, and I drew in my breath, and now I pant for thee. I tasted, and now I hunger and thirst. You touched me and I burnt for yoru peace! (Book 9, Chap 27).

No comments: